A friendly forum for all South Australian Horse Riders, Breeders and Enthusiasts! Non South Aussies MOST welcome too!!

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

SNAKES

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
yasbiq

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm

shanecindy wrote:
only good snake is a dead snake. apparently it is illegal to kill them though. hate the thought of my animals getting bitten

Yes, snakes are a native animal and you can not kill them, unless the pose a threat or are attacking.. IMO they all pose a threat... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ivydane

Number of posts : 2413
Registration date : 2010-02-26

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:17 pm

yasbiq wrote:
ivydane wrote:
No Binca, you aren't the only one. I don't mind snakes at all. Had the odd brownie in my aviary, couple of years ago. Snake came to trust me when I changed the water and fed the birds. It used to sun itself, in full view when I was no more than a foot away from it.
Much to my disgust OH decided to despatch it once I got rabbits and guinea pigs- luckily snake was stunned only. I carried it in a bucket up to a far away paddock and released it.

Then you obviously have not seen anything /anyone die from an agonising and very painful death from a snake bite..
Anti venom does not guarantee you will live..

Have seen a few snake bites, but no deaths. However, I'd say there are higher odds of getting killed or seriously injured playing with horses.
Back to top Go down
appy

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:06 am

I think we will be in for a lot of snakes this year.

Wow Scoota fella. That's a lot of snake bites.. Snakes don't always use their venom so perhaps some of the bites were just bites and they didn't inject there venom.

Back to top Go down
mustang_dani

Number of posts : 1914
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:41 pm

OMG scootafella!

Does a bite hurt a lot when it happens?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zappascomputers.com.au
Dixiedot

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:04 pm

It hurts really, really heaps. The first time a big brown came out of my feed shed when I opened the door. I backed off across the attached stable and grabbed a rake - the only thing to hand. The snake felt cornered, I think (though I was the one cornered) and got VERY aggressive, struck out and got me in the leg, just above the ankle. The force of the bite broke my ankle - and the bone is pretty tough there - and sent me flying back about two metres to the wall of the stable. It then came after me and I just hit and hit it with the rake from where I was half lying against the wall, and unfortunately (!) I killed it. I was in hospital for three weeks with that one, very, very ill, couldn't walk at all on my leg for three months, and there was a humongous brown/purple blood blister at the site of the bite for over a year - with strict instructions not to break the blister, which wasn't easy. And it hurt - the bite hurt and the blister hurt and kept hurting for a year or so after the blister had gone.

That was the most dramatic time - except perhaps when a young horse I was riding spooked when a snake went between his legs (I wonder why?) bucked and spun me off right on to the top of the snake. Got bit in the hand then; the snake got away as fast as it could. My hand was very swollen and partially paralysed for nearly eight months; doctors thought the swelling might not go down, which apparently is not unusual. Fortunately, it did go down.

Unfortunately, the snakes gave me their venom every time. And yes, it does hurt. One time I was bitten in the leg through a rubber riding boot when walking through grass (silly me) and I felt the impact but hardly felt the bite (but given my history went to the hospital anyway, and they found it. Ill enough to stay in hospital for just a couple of days that time. The others, though, yes, I surely felt them. The snakes, all big ones, hit with such amazing force. It's really unexpected. I've lost my footing twice through snake bites - the force of the impact has just sent me flying, and I wasn't all that lightweight. And the poison in your system is not nice - it does all sorts of odd things. Another time it gave me hallucinations for about a week, nasty ones. And as I said, there's residual pain in limbs for some time afterwards, and odd swellings, and after the fourth bite I kept getting bruises coming up all over me for no reason.

So best avoided, if possible. I'm careful now, stamp the ground, make noise, etc., but with horses and horse feed and mice and ... it's pretty difficult. One of my friends, though, lived at Carey Gully, had a creek and dam overgrown with blackberries and heaps of red bellied black snakes. Every time I went there - which was often - I'd see snakes. She lived there for 10 years and never saw one.
Back to top Go down
mustang_dani

Number of posts : 1914
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:08 pm

It broke your ankle?!! FARK!

Yes I definitely do my best to avoid them at all costs! Have been pretty lucky and only had 1 encounter with a black snake. OH saw its tail slide under some empty chaff bags and the agistment owners came and dealt with it!

Even seeing a dead one on the road gives me the heebie jeebies!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zappascomputers.com.au
Mikinda Amelia

Number of posts : 2231
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:49 pm

There have been so many snakes seen recently at my agistment that the owners have recently put up signs urging people to wear appropriate clothing & footwear & have provided bandages in the stable block. They've had agisters for nearly 20 years.
I heard one girl there say she saw 4 snakes today! And yet she's getting around in shorts. Rolling Eyes Maybe she thought she was safe since she had her short, leather riding boots on. Rolling Eyes I can understand wanting to wear shorts when it's 40+ degrees & hard to tolerate anything else but it was barely 25 today.
Back to top Go down
AppyGoLucky

Number of posts : 1522
Registration date : 2009-10-07

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:30 pm

I saw something slithering out of the corner of my eye at school today. Freaked out, thinking it was a snake. Turned around and it was just a blue tongue sunning itself Razz

One summer we caught about eight snakes (got the snake catcher to remove them). We had a female under the chook shed and the males were all coming to visit. Caught the female, cemented the chook shed and haven't seen one since (knock wood).

We usually keep our dog inside during summer and the grass in the paddocks and around the house is pretty short so there's nowhere for them to hide. I am a bit worried about the round bale though, but we're building a new hay annexe that mice (and snakes) won't be able to get into.

I hate snakes, they terrify me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverstirrups.com
starvinmarvinsfriend

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:24 pm

oh my goodnes scoota fella
That is like a horror movie! I loathe snakes, I know they were there first etc and they'll only bite if threatened BUT, well, they scare the cr*p outta me lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SNAKES   

Back to top Go down

SNAKES
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2