South Australian Equine Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly forum for all South Australian Horse Riders, Breeders and Enthusiasts! Non South Aussies MOST welcome too!!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Roc On & colour

Go down 
+10
DC
Craig
Sonz78
Squirt
Footlight_Statement
fitgirl75
A'ishah gold
pepperhayden
Shell
Bandicoot
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Carolinep

Carolinep

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Roc On & colour - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 10:43 am

wrighty wrote:
If one wanted to learn more about genetics, and colours what would be a good place to start... eg good books etc..??

I was at a Horse SA workshop extravaganza a few years ago when Jeanette Gower was promoting her book. She did a great job, and kept her cool even when a colleague and I (we were both there by co-incidence, not design) got a bit carried away with playing with her bits of coloured card and tried combinations that were a bit more than she intended.

However, I haven't read the book and have no idea whether it goes into all the colours that seem to have been invented in recent (relatively) years.

Back in my day only ponies were black and white or brown and white, and they were piebald or skewbald. I could go on, but lunch calls Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carolinep

Carolinep

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 10:46 am

Amy wrote:
wikid !!! dad says MAYB. i will get 2 put her 2 Roc !!! cuz Dad wanted 2 put her 2 a thoroughbred stallion an get a racehorse bt its gonna cost 2 much rite nw so he sed mayb i cud get a foal outa her 1st !!! 1/2 QH an 1/2 TB !!

Dear Amy

Sadly, 'getting a racehorse' isn't quite as simple as putting a TB mare to a TB stallion (just ask how many of us have 'failed' racers at home).

Also, the stud fee is just the beginning of a potential money pit. Worst case scenario is that you could end up with massive vet bills, no foal and a dead mare.

May I ask why you want to breed your mare?

Caroline
Back to top Go down
foxontherun

foxontherun

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 11:25 am

That book would be 'Horse Colour Explained'
And I think she does go into pretty much all colours - including the somewhat 'new' ones lol Apparently its very good - but have not read it myself.
Smile
Back to top Go down
crazychickmia

crazychickmia

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 7:42 pm

Craig wrote:
One or the other! lol need more generations of pedigree colour to say...even then chestnut can stay hidden.....for MANY generations...look at CB's 400 odd years and the odd chestnut purebred still pops up once in a blue moon!

Friesians too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/papc
crazychickmia

crazychickmia

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Horse Colour Explained covers - chestnut, black, bay, dun, buckskin, palomino, overo, tobiano, sabino, appaloosa (all patterns), taffy (aka silver) and champagne. Don't think anything was mentioned about Pearl which I think is a new one. That's what I can remember from off the top of my head lol.

I like it, got some gorgeous photos Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/papc
Shell

Shell

Number of posts : 1730
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh CarolineP, Amys dad has had racehorses all his adult life and has a lot to do with them Smile He has one that has just recently retired from racing I think.... Amy will be able to tell you exactly.... Smile

Horse Colour Explained is a pretty good book... which reminds me, I have to order another copy of it as we gave our copy to my inlaws. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.reigatestud.com

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 4:06 pm

Dear Amy

Sadly, 'getting a racehorse' isn't quite as simple as putting a TB mare to a TB stallion (just ask how many of us have 'failed' racers at home).

Also, the stud fee is just the beginning of a potential money pit. Worst case scenario is that you could end up with massive vet bills, no foal and a dead mare.

May I ask why you want to breed your mare?

Caroline

Yea i no dad has bred racehorses before an a few ponies aswell,, he also trained most of them aswell.... an i want 2 breed her 2 Roc On an keep the foal for myself ! then Dad an i would mayb train it ,, if not then i would find some1 around here to train it .. yea the mare i want to breed is a retired racehorse , her name is Quilino Rose bt i jst call her Rose ! an shes a 9 y.o an she has the best temp,, shes like a dog , jst follows u all round the paddock. although she can b a bit flighty sometimes ! i jst thought she would b a gd cross wiv Roc !
Back to top Go down
Carolinep

Carolinep

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 8:42 am

Amy wrote:
[
yea the mare i want to breed is a retired racehorse , her name is Quilino Rose bt i jst call her Rose ! an shes a 9 y.o an she has the best temp,, shes like a dog , jst follows u all round the paddock. although she can b a bit flighty sometimes ! i jst thought she would b a gd cross wiv Roc !

Good luck with whatever you and your Dad decide to do Amy.

Caroline
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 8:50 am

Thanx heaps Caroline
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 6:55 pm

wow... your typing gives me a headache.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 2:28 pm

ho,, me??

sos its jst a habbit !!
Back to top Go down
Carolinep

Carolinep

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Amy wrote:
ho,, me??

sos its jst a habbit !!

SOS indeed Laughing

xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 1:32 pm

lol,,
Ill try 2 make it a bit more understandable !!
Back to top Go down
*kayty*

*kayty*

Number of posts : 1483
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Carolinep wrote:
Amy wrote:
ho,, me??

sos its jst a habbit !!

SOS indeed Laughing

xx
Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandhoundartistry.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roc On & colour   Roc On & colour - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Roc On & colour
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
South Australian Equine Forum :: Stallions At Stud :: Stallions At Stud in South Australia-
Jump to: