South Australian Equine Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly forum for all South Australian Horse Riders, Breeders and Enthusiasts! Non South Aussies MOST welcome too!!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

pony clubs for boys

Go down 
+6
standie girl
jellybelly
Bokani
bubby1
Wellwisher
stacey
10 posters
AuthorMessage
stacey

stacey

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2009-10-15

pony clubs for boys Empty
PostSubject: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 8:14 pm

I have my son who rides regualr and he's been put off due to some boys teasing him they reckon it's a girls sport!!! I am very proud of my boy and he rides great, he's not experienced but he loves it, moans and groans on the way but once he's on you can't get the smile of his face, he loves doing ground poles and small jumps. We are looking for that special pony for him to enjoy and maybe join a pony club. Do many boys ride in pony clubs? We live in Callington so i was thinking Strath as that's who i rdie with, are then any others? I haven't had a look anywhere just asking on here.
Back to top Go down
Wellwisher

Wellwisher

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 pm

There used to be a few boy riders at Mountain PC at Mount Barker. Strath PC are different to your ARC although they share the grounds.
Back to top Go down
bubby1

Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 8:47 pm

when I was a member at gawler river there where quiet a few boys ranging from still on lead to young teens..... even at shows you see boys, although not as many as girls, and in sj/eventing def not a girl only sport......
Oh and depending on how long he keeps at it.... good way to pick up , lol.
Back to top Go down
Bokani

Bokani

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-09-16

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:25 am

Congrates to your son, just look at some of our top riders they are male! Pony clubs are great for boys, most have a few boys and they all get on well. Hope that you find that right pony and your son enjoys his riding. cheers
Back to top Go down
jellybelly

jellybelly

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2010-10-18

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 am

Metro zone have quite a few boys, i'm sure he wouldn't be the only one! Goodluck finding a pony, yay for kids that like riding hehe
Back to top Go down
standie girl

standie girl

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:44 am

I have found the same thing stacey my son likes to ride my horse on lead at shows and he has done very well for himself, he is very proud of his trophy's and ribbons but i have found he gets teased as its a "girl thing" riding horses from his mates which is a shame, I tell him not to listen to them and if he wants to ride then do so, because there will always be people out there to knock you so dont let then stop you doing what you love Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mustang_dani

mustang_dani

Number of posts : 1914
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 10:11 am

Yeah it's a shame that it's considered a girl sport, especially when a lot of top riders are male!

My little brother is just getting into riding and we will be joining the local pc in a couple of weeks. He will be the only boy there!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zappascomputers.com.au
horsework B4 housework

horsework B4 housework

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm

You will always find more girls than boys at PC but I have never found the boys getting teased at club, it is just the non riding males that can give them a hard time unfortunately, just tell him to do what he wants and ignore his ignorant friends - may want to tell him that when he gets older and is interested in girls he will be in a sport where he is surrounded by them.
Why not take him to a rally so he can see what goes on, you can also ask there if they know of any ponies for lease or sale.
Back to top Go down
Footlight_Statement

Footlight_Statement

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:20 pm

hehe this makes me think of a story that my farrier told me a while ago.. his son was bullied about being gay for riding horses by his mates at school... his response was come to a show with me and then tell me if im gay.. they went with him and were astounded by all the girls, and how they all were buzzing around the guy... needless to say his mates never gave him strife about being gay again.

But good on your son, if he does find a liking for something like showjumping, thats a very male dominated sport! And in my experience, any boys in pc's ive been in have been very welcomed.. and when they are older.. much loved bahahah!
Back to top Go down
stacey

stacey

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:47 pm

thansk guys, He'd be a chick magnet for sure....lol...As i've told him, get his friends to come try riding because it's not as easy as it looks, they think that you just get on and sit there Smile I'll check out some clubs for him and take him for a look. We are also going to look at a pony next weekend, kids have fallen in love with the pics the lady sent so hopefully the lady will fall in love with us as she's had heaps of equiries Smile
Back to top Go down
yetsofar

yetsofar

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:57 pm

My son who is nearly 8 is looking at starting pony club in the near future. He has just started riding his pony on his own. But at my current pony club 99% of the kids are girls, I am thinking of changing to another club which has more club days which may fit better with my other activities
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pony clubs for boys   pony clubs for boys Empty

Back to top Go down

pony clubs for boys
Page 1 of 1