South Australian Equine Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly forum for all South Australian Horse Riders, Breeders and Enthusiasts! Non South Aussies MOST welcome too!!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Horse problems

Go down 
+9
Carolinep
SkinnyThoroughbred
Mikinda Amelia
fitgirl75
possum
Bandicoot
ruby
mustang_dani
Tory
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tory

Tory

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Today I spent the day at Mum and Dad's property and worked Griffin. While having lunch Mum showed me an interesting website. I thought it might be useful as a resource tool for all riders, as it has pod casts, articles and you can email him a question and he will answer.

www.horseproblems.com.au
Back to top Go down
mustang_dani

mustang_dani

Number of posts : 1914
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 5:32 pm

Awesome website. I read it nearly every day.

Gonna re-mouth my boy using his method.

Last edited by mustang_dani on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.zappascomputers.com.au
ruby

ruby

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 5:38 pm

He's a member of our Forum!! I think he's only posted once or twice and the topic he started kind of got very sidetracked ........ I'm not sure if he's been game enough to come back!!
Back to top Go down
Bandicoot

Bandicoot

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 am

In relation to re-mouthing, I use similar methods and quite frankly, its the ONLY way to go! Have had 100% success rate in improving ALL horses.

Best DVD - Track to Dressage Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.aylesburylodge.com
mustang_dani

mustang_dani

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 10:57 am

ooo yeah I wanna get that dvd too Bandicoot!
Back to top Go down
possum

possum

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 12:17 pm

am a student of 'mouthing', it is my fetish Smile I have closely observed and tested the product of the mouthing of every horse that I have ever sat on and that has been now over 20,000. I rate them on a scale of 0-10 and in two ways. The front brakes as I call them, the pull on two reins to stop which is what most people unfortunately do with young horses and the most important side of the mouth, the laterals. I think I put a 10 on my horses. The best I have felt on others has been a rear 8 and mostly 6.5.
rear or near?

?????? mmmmm ~ obviously hasnt ridden one of mine?
a 10 i would consider a rarity in any trainers stable ~ i would be pleased to handle an 8 or 9 any day!
i dont like smugness! i am pleased to learn from anyone and sorry these comments put me off ~ i was thinking well the girls have given me an opportunity to learn from a master?

in saying this ~ i would still watch the dvd ~ but

if they have a problem standing and the handler cant hold it how does the master ride it???

i am reminded that i was the one that argued?
Back to top Go down
fitgirl75

fitgirl75

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 3:01 pm

GREY HORSES

In Australia and I suppose in other hot climates, steer right away from grey horses, appaloosas', paints, pinto's and anything with a lot of white on. The days of these horse surviving the damaging Sun due to the breakdown of the Ozone Layer, are over. In South Australia where I am, 85% of all grey horses that go through the abattoirs have melanoma (cancer)
Look for dark colored horses with as little white on the face (other than a star) as possible.

Just pulled this from one of the articles on above website,

I'm affraid I really disagree with the above, its a well known fact that melanoma in grey horses is not sun related but in fact a genetic problem.
(as the owner of an elderly grey that has melanoma, i have done a lot of research)
Back to top Go down
Mikinda Amelia

Mikinda Amelia

Number of posts : 2231
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Mmmm...interesting....and i had a grey who lived to 28 with no sign of melanoma.
Back to top Go down
fitgirl75

fitgirl75

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 3:55 pm

yeah not all greys get them. he has the percentage close, that around 80% get them, I have even read that 90% of Grey arabs are likely to get them? not sure of how correct that is?
But most melanoma are not related to the sun - unless i s'pose its cancer on pink noses but then I don't think that is always a melanoma?
Back to top Go down
possum

possum

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 3:57 pm

thats interesting wonder what the local business man (dogger) thinks of that statement?

had a grey pony lived into his late 30's died of founder related
never had a spot of cancer?

have another pony BLACK suspect cancer on her fanny ~ ??? no sign of grey on her? will have to make sure she does not raise her tail in future!

yep we also have one each of the others mentioned?? no signs of cancer yet???? from teens to 20's

then again i make sure i put their umbrellas up every day to shade them from the ozone!

i wonder why there was no mention of the sabino gene? let me see arabs, tb's, clydesdales, wesh, etc gosh that looks like just about every other breed????????????????????????????????????????????

ding! dont buy a horse with a white sock!
Back to top Go down
SkinnyThoroughbred

SkinnyThoroughbred

Number of posts : 1141
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 4:10 pm

but but but.... i thought it was a horse with 4 white socks...
Back to top Go down
fitgirl75

fitgirl75

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 4:20 pm

hmmm yes have read quite a lot of what he has posted on site, some of it makes sense some of it doesn't,
I take everything with a little pinch of salt.
Back to top Go down
mustang_dani

mustang_dani

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Yeah I don't agree with everything on the site but a lot of it does make sense.
I do like the 1 rein stop. My last horse was mouthed by him for the previous owner and the 1 rein stop saved me on a few occasions.
I also like the look of his newly designed float. He has done a lot of research on the safety of floats and floating.

Interesting to hear melanomas are genetic and not sun related.
Back to top Go down
possum

possum

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 5:27 pm

yep everything with a pinch of salt?

does kellogs do that?

i recall standing next to a stallion one day that kept trying to mount my mare?? twas in an event!
my eyeball kept my mare from not moving ~ frankly if the stallion had of mounted her i would have murdered the handler!!

the mares ears were pinned to her head ~ never saw her so disgusted!
won of course!
yes behaviour says it all ~
and that starts on the ground with training i have learnt from many GOOD trainers! in person not off the internet!
Back to top Go down
Mikinda Amelia

Mikinda Amelia

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Yes MD, that one rein stop is a beauty. Wish someone had told me about that when i first started riding!
Back to top Go down
mustang_dani

mustang_dani

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 5:39 pm

Haha I wish I had installed it on Maddy before I broke my leg!! Laughing

I have met John and Linda and been to their property many times so I do know that they know what they are talking about. I've seen it in person!
Back to top Go down
Bandicoot

Bandicoot

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 5:55 am

Linda is just lovely! Very Happy

I have never done a one rein stop in my entire life and I'm not ashamed to admit it.. unless a horse is a mad bolter at which point I grab one rein and pull them to a circle to stop. Does that count?

Its amazing just how powerful a rider's seat is when it comes to steering, tempo and brakes. If I have had a horse that is indeed THAT sensitive to stop on one rein, they have stopped with the seat aids in my experience.

It is my humble opinion that reins should be an after thought. First emergency if you will, especially in the pony clubber and pleasure horses. I've seen the difference even in a heavily raced horse with a hard mouth when ridden someone who rides with their seat to someone who rides with their "reins" and the difference still amazes me. Seeing alot of "riders" who come out here, I am not surprised that this DVD is a good seller. (Re-Mouthing the horse).

Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.aylesburylodge.com
Carolinep

Carolinep

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 1:40 pm

mustang_dani wrote:

Interesting to hear melanomas are genetic and not sun related.

Aren't we all singing the same tune here (but with slightly different words, perhaps)?

If you choose your parents unwisely and get the short straw in the genetic lottery then you may be more susceptible to melanoma or many other tumours/diseases. You may then increase your risk of developing the condition by exposing yourself to potential triggers of the gene (sunlight, viruses, toxins).

Oh, and isn't colour determined genetically?

And to take this to a whole different level, er, thread:

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy
Come on now, people, make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
Can't you see we need a hand
In the navy
Come on, protect the motherland
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people, and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

And this is what happens when I have to work on Saturday and Sunday. I can send the dogs to kennels, I could send the kids to a babysitter. So why can't I pay someone to look after my cell cultures Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Mikinda Amelia

Mikinda Amelia

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 4:25 pm

I found all the info about floats & safety very interesting. I will be taking all that into consideration when looking for my new float. I have the feeling it might take as long to find the right float as it took me to find the right car (nearly 18 months!)
Back to top Go down
Dressage Diva

Dressage Diva

Number of posts : 656
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 5:57 pm

fitgirl75 wrote:
yeah not all greys get them. he has the percentage close, that around 80% get them, I have even read that 90% of Grey arabs are likely to get them? not sure of how correct that is?
But most melanoma are not related to the sun - unless i s'pose its cancer on pink noses but then I don't think that is always a melanoma?

my grey mare is approximately 22 and is out in a paddock with very little protection (naked all summer, only a fly mask) and has been for many years and has no sign of any melanoma either.

our horses must just be very rare! ha ha ha!
Back to top Go down
Dressage Diva

Dressage Diva

Number of posts : 656
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 6:00 pm

PS Linda O'Leary is one of those riders that you just always have to watch - she's just always so cool calm and collected and everything looks effortless. STILL trying to get SVDC to get her down for a clinic so I can receive some coaching from her without having to travel out north Smile
Back to top Go down
Footlight_Statement

Footlight_Statement

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 7:13 pm

I got a lesson with linda before the rising star show this year, and the improvement in monster and myself was astonishing!! now i will try to get a lesson with her whenever im down near adelaide.. with a horse.. which isnt often..
Back to top Go down
possum

possum

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:55 pm

Aren't we all singing the same tune here (but with slightly different words, perhaps)? ~ by Carolinep

I reckon you could be right!

a difference of opinion does not mean you dont look to learn or applaud a person for their work!!!
Back to top Go down
DC

DC

Number of posts : 3237
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 4:21 pm

We have looked and tried so many different methods with Fat Guts. I take what I think is useful.

Malborough Park may be getting Monty Roberts out for a Demo later this year or early next. I'll go out of interest. I already have my opinions on his methods but would go to get a proper look. Never know what I'll pick up ( Hopefully not swine flu)

John researches his info well. And yes is opinionated. But hey, who isn't. You guys have picked out a few things that may be overstreached but what about all the good info on there.

I'm not one of the one rein stop nuts. It is a good tool, but is not the one and only answer. I have had someone yelling SPIN HIM at me whilst standing across the middle of the rd while Tower was going flat out at them. I was yelling GET OUT OF THE F&*%£$£$N WAY!
If I had used a one rein stop he prob would have fallen over and I would have gotten even more splatted than I did. And in that situation my seat was nonexistant.

The genetics side has been talked about. But he stated that Greys going through the knanckers pens have cancerous growths. People may do that because they can't afford or dont want to treat. He didnt say that there were this percentage of Bays with Purple ears and toes growing out of their nostrils. which you could argue that none of your bays have contracted....

Of all the horses I have worked with I can think of 5 ( or more) greys. 3 of them had 'abnormal growths' and maybe 2 dark colour horses. Thats a pretty high percentage really. And these horses have varied from foal at foot to a 32 yr old mare.

Its all about looking at the information in the correct light.
Back to top Go down
possum

possum

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 4:28 pm

I take what I think is useful.

excellent point! ~ finding the useful points are sometimes the key!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Horse problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horse problems   Horse problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Horse problems
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next