South Australian Equine Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly forum for all South Australian Horse Riders, Breeders and Enthusiasts! Non South Aussies MOST welcome too!!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tips For Selling/Buying Horses

Go down 
+9
Rivanna
Julie
DC
*kayty*
foxontherun
caroon
rustyrider
possum
Admin
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Tips For Selling/Buying Horses Empty
PostSubject: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:16 am

Hi All,

It was requested that we put this at the top of the For Sale section - and I think its a worthy thread.

Please put your comments in here that you think others might find helpful when looking to buy or sell a horse Smile

Anything we can do to help people end up with the right horse for them or the right home for their dear steed is a step in the right direction Smile

Cheers,

Admin.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.saequineforum.com
possum

possum

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:40 am

if you are going to use a photo ~ put a good one in...
location is also handy..
as much info as you can put in so i dont have to ask so many stupid questions please
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Photo, Photo, Photo!

You might have the most stunning horse on the planet, but the slightest bad angle can make him look poorly conformed, short in the neck or just plain ugly Smile

Get a friend to help you stand the horse up, make sure all 4 legs are visible and take the photo from the side.
Back to top Go down
rustyrider

rustyrider

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Be honest! Know the horse you are selling, it's strengths and weaknesses, and ask about the home it will be going to. If the gut feeling isn't right, it probably isn't!

Edited to add: a pet peeve of mine is just about every horse advertised is 'stunning', so it stuns you like an electric eel?. I see 'stunning' now and I don't read the ad (mind you, I'm not looking either)

Back to top Go down
caroon

caroon

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Buying
-Ask LOTS of questions, even write yourself a list of questions to ask about your future equine.
-Make sure you ride the horse and put some pressure on the him/her, to see how it will react.
-Take it for a ride out of the arena, unless that is where you will be spending your riding time.
-Take a CLOSE look at the horses feet, legs and general stance, for anything that seems odd.
-Vet check.
-Take another horsey person (or 2).. They might pick up on something that you dont...

Selling
-Be completely honest with the people that are looking at your gg.
-Great, clear photo (take heaps and choose the best couple to post with add).
-Put alot of information in your add, and read over to make sure that it reads correctly.
Back to top Go down
foxontherun

foxontherun

Number of posts : 1212

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 am

Good tips everyone Smile Agreed - Good Photos are a must!

Buying:
~ Be honest about your abilities! No point getting a horse thats trained to do to X, Y & Z when you can't even get on it! And be honest about what you want the horse for - ie dressage/wester/jumping, the seller will be able to tell you if the horse is suited for this or not
~ Do ride the horse, but not if the owner wont Shocked thats a bit of a worry right there
~ If a horse is advertised as "in paddock condition/not worked for xx months", don't think it's going to work beautifully on the first ride
~ Get as much information as you can - save yourself & the seller time - and get a good idea of the horses history
~ Find out if the horse has any quirks, allergies or 'special' needs
~ If the seller asks for you to leave a message by phone, leave your name, number & what you're calling about, not just "i'm calling about the horse for sale"

Selling:
~ Don't stress about people who are wasting your time
~ Get the person to call you on the day they are coming out to see the horse, rather than organising your day around them only to have them not show up
~ SPELL CHECK your advert!!!
~ Get someone else to proof read your advert to see if it makes sense to another person too
~ Horses are not 14.5hh ok? If you are that unsure of height put it in cms & do online conversion.
~ Get a decent email address....you know the ones I'm talking about! Razz
~ Make sure to include a contact phone number or email that works

And both:
~ Get the sale in writing & signed by both parties ~ make note of payments made
~ Get any relevant registration papers at hand over of horse (saves trying to chase them up later on)
Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Put the size of the horse & the age, I've seen quite a few adds lately without even these basics & it's very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
*kayty*

*kayty*

Number of posts : 1483
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 2:30 pm

CamikoPark wrote:
Put the size of the horse & the age, I've seen quite a few adds lately without even these basics & it's very frustrating.
THIS!! Put size, age, breed, height and sex PLEASE!! It infuriates me seeing adds that go on and on about the horse's potential, yet they have no age, breed, sex of height Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandhoundartistry.com
DC

DC

Number of posts : 3237
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Buyers BE HONEST
Back to top Go down
Julie

Julie

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 5:59 pm

be carefull when you organise to go and ride your hopefully new GG that you have organised a suitable time with the owner, and always turn up at least half and hour early. I know there are many honest sellers out there but unfortunately there are the few unhonest ones that do catch people out. The reason to turn up early is to hopefully avoid the chance of the owner sedating the horse prior to you riding/viewing. You can use the excuse "sorry we are early but i allowed plenty of time as i really wasn't sure where i was going". If they are genuine they won't mind anyway.
Back to top Go down
Rivanna

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 6:28 pm

"Why is this horse for sale?" is always the first question I ask. You can usually tell if they're trying to hide something when they answer Smile
Sellers, don't LIE on your ads. Saying a horse won "champion at xxxxxxx show" when it's not true isn't going to fly, eventually the buyer will talk to someone who'll tell them the truth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.harrogateconnemaras.webs.com
DC

DC

Number of posts : 3237
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 11:08 am

When people arrive I hand them the halter.
Back to top Go down
Werdun

Werdun

Number of posts : 565

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 12:08 pm

If you are going to advertise a horse as "stunning", your photo needs to show a stunning horse, not a fluffy thing in a paddock. Also be aware that your ad heading will most likely be lost amongst the other "stunning" horses for sale on the same page.

If you advertise a horse as a jumper, DON'T use a photo that shows the horse catleaping, lurching, or variations of the may-not-end-prettily technique.

Now I'm not a mini person, but if you are going to put a photo of your mini for sale, put a photo of it in summer coat/show condition even if the photo is 6 months old. DON'T show it in a 3" long winter coat with its head, neck, legs, whatever clipped. You are only making what could perhaps be a nice horse look like a poodle or sheep.

If the ad says 16.2h bay, and the seller brings out a 15.2h chestnut...chances are that the lies won't stop there. (This did actually happen recently)

If you're worried about sedating, run your hand down the jugular. You will usually feel some indication of a recent jab. If you're still worried, check that the horse's manure is firm as horses on Rakelin will scour.

Ask to see the horse on the lunge first. This will give you an indication of how freely it moves without a rider and can be handy to compare the difference when the seller gets on. It can help make allowances for bridle lameness, saddle fit, etc instead of discounting a perfectly sound horse just because it was uneven when the owner rode it.

"Oh, he's never done that before". It's not always a lie, and sometimes it's no-one's fault. I have a great example of this too. I was looking at buying a WB who had not been ridden in a few weeks. Father of the owner raved about how good this horse was. Went to try him out and every time I'd try and take a contact, he would throw his head around. We left...owner thinking I couldn't ride, and me thinking the horse had been badly schooled. They came back to me a while later and apologised. The horse had been found to have a tooth abcess at the time.

If you intend to buy the horse, ask to come out and ride it/get to know it a couple of times while still at the seller's place. I am SO SICK of buyers accusing sellers of drugging horses because the horse's temperament changed when it was taken home. HORSES ARE NOT ROBOTS. When a horse is sold, EVERYTHING it finds familiar is suddenly gone. Some of them will have a little trouble coping in the first few weeks and may temporarily show a different side. That does not mean that the horse is bad and certainly DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MEAN that the horse was drugged when you tried it out!!!

I see the reasoning behind turning up early, but if you do, be prepared to sit in an empty driveway for that half hour while the seller's big dog watches you until the seller arrives home. People make times for a reason, and life still has to go on.

Further to Fox's advice about calling on the day...after the initial enquiry, I generally ask people to phone back on the morning or the evening before to confirm, and that I will give them directions then. It weeds out a lot of timewasters, and also means that you are not giving out your address to people who have just established when you will and won't be home.

Sellers, do take the time to have your horse in some form of sale condition. Pull, or at least brush the mane. Trim the bridlepath and tail. Have feet in good nick. Personally, I will wash the horse the day before and have it in a cotton set, tail brushed, and mane tidy. You are tying to show the horse at its best after all.

Sellers, if the potential buyer is still keen on the horse after the ride, be prepared to offer them coffee and have all relevant paperwork ready for viewing including papers, pedigree, photos of parents, siblings, video footage, etc and if applicable, information for the relevant breed society.

Back to top Go down
http://www.haladopark.webs.com *new website*
Julie

Julie

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 2:22 pm

sounds like you've had a bit of experience in this area, some very good tips.
Back to top Go down
CLES

CLES

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 9:02 pm

I own Chapel Lodge,
We now sell re educated horses,

We get sus on people who do not ask questions about the horse they are interested in buying.

Once you have decided that a horse is for you....

Ask to arrange for your Vet to come out and check the horse.
Ask for as much medical history as you can. i.e. colic, founder, hematoma's, lumps, bumps and kicks (if been in a shared paddock) etc.
Gaits - what gaits does the horse have, and is it difficult to get a particular gait?
Does the horse Jump (if you want to jump)
Do you need to lunge before riding (can you just grab them out the paddock and go for a ride)
Which Farrier is used.
What type of wormer is being using.
What is currently being fed to the horse.
Where the horse was before the seller got it... is it a rescue case, straight off the track or being sold on behalf of someone.
Brands

AND

Always take your own saddlery to ride with, and ride the horse more than once.

CLES

Back to top Go down
http://www.chapellodgehorseagistment.webs.com
rustyrider

rustyrider

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Another thing, height seems to vary between people. I bought by Ruby sight unseen, seller said she was 15.1 and I asked the vet to confirm current height and if she'd mature at 15.3 - 16.h as per the sellers advice; Vet confirmed she was about 15.1 as a three year old, so should get close to 15.3 (clydy / andy's are slow to mature). She shrunk a couple of inches in the truck, she was barely 14.3 when she arrived...
If in doubt about the horses height, take a measuring stick
Back to top Go down
archie

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 2:33 am

As a buyer some things I have learnt is some horse sellers are no better then used car salesman, but some tips:

* If the seller will not ride the horse themself, beware, the horse may not be as good as they make out they are, had two state "I can't ride because I injured my back and he has not been ridden for 6 months, I could get X to come and work him for me but I don't want to fork out money on a horse I wont be keeping" I kid you not , a buyer is not there to work the horse, LOL. Another horse the owner had 'hurt my knee but I can my neighbour to ride her for you" beling local I made some enquiries only to discover the horse is too good for her, yet she thinks would be fine for young rider! The neighbour is a very experienced horse person. As long as it is not in their backyard that is all that counts for some horse sellers

If they get an experienced rider to show you the horse, the horse may perform perfectly but if you are not of the same ability it may go pear shaped pretty quickly. Recently both scenerios above happened to us, needless to say, I didn't even bother to ride the horse, it was all far too dodgey to entrust me or my daughter's life with their horse.

* It would be nice of the seller to ensure the horse has been ridden at least once in past week or so, it is a misjustic to your horse I feel to have them fresh and not performing at their best:roll: unless the buyer wants to see the horse fresh and rested.

* Have recent pics available, not ones taken a few years ago, have gone to look at horses, only to find the horse is not in the same condition, very disappointing if you have driven a long distance. Also if selling a riding horse, please have photos of horse being ridden under saddle. Buyers, if there no ridden photos forthcoming this could be another warning sign.

* If something seems fishy about the setup, proceed with caution.

* If possible get a trial or at least be allowed to come and ride the horse a few times before deciding

Remember as another member stated, horses are not robots, they do have off days and sellers generally really do love their horse so please be kind with any downside/critisism you give

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 pm

We breed and sell youngsters at Cheveaux Park..
we allow a bonding period with ALL our youngsters..
we allow people to come often and handle the babies..
we also ask a million questions..so we dont make the mistake of selling to the wrong people..so the youngster is not resold on.

We have allowed the odd trial of a broken in youngster but thats rare due to some inexperienced people or those we think expect too much of a youngster.
We also allow a trial on the property too..this helps US to make the right decision in the partnership of horse/rider.
I am sure alot more sellers would aloow alot more leway with horses if they were paid a small deposit so you can visit a few times to ride and be be sure your buying the right horse.
The fact that its for sale doesnt mean you can have a free ride at intervals..but paying a small deposit shows your keen and also...gives you some idea the horses welfare is the priority here.
You can ask anything of the seller...but be fair...the horse IS for sale...

Back to top Go down
archie

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 am

Nice post Arabutt

I am just wondering with the deposit thing and the horse does not suit the rider, are deposits fully refundable?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 6:01 am

thanks arch,
I dont think you can ask for a deposit back...especially if your riding the sellers horse for a few weeks...
the seller would have to hold the horse from other potential buyers...
tell them the horse is under trial...therefore possibly loosing THAT sale..
least paying a small($100)deposit shows your keen and seller is likely to oblige...of course the horse would potentially be appealing to the eye...would ride well the first ride...buyer would obviously be initially happy with the horse on first visit.

The thing about buying a horse is that the buyer needs to cover all options...
theres so many scenarios that buyer can ensure they have made the right choice..
many many ideas come to mind...
home trial...on property trial..vet check...instructors ride..visit the horse more than twice..theres so many options a buyer can put forth to a seller that theres no reason for unhappy buyers really.
If the seller doesnt come to the party..there SO many wonderful horses out there for sale..
and SO many decent sellers to deal with..

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 6:02 am

Added to say...
some lovely horses available for sale in this state...
beautiful... Smile
Back to top Go down
Shell

Shell

Number of posts : 1730

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 5:17 pm

When buying an 'unregistered' but 'registerable' horse - check up on paperwork and make sure that the owner has put in their service certificates and details to the appropriate society and that its not going to cost you an arm and a leg to register the 'bargain' horse you may pick up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reigatestud.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 478

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 6:22 pm

A little bump for those to see this and add anything more they might like to Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.saequineforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips For Selling/Buying Horses   Tips For Selling/Buying Horses Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips For Selling/Buying Horses
Page 1 of 1