South Australian Equine Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly forum for all South Australian Horse Riders, Breeders and Enthusiasts! Non South Aussies MOST welcome too!!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quiet mares wanted

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Noble

Noble

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 11:07 am

The University of Adelaide's School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences is looking for approximately 10 quiet mares >14hh to join the equine teaching herd. Our horses are paddock run in groups and are utilised in our teaching program in accordance with strict Animal Ethics Guidelines. Horses must be quiet to handle and paddock sound and less than 20 years of age to qualify.

Please contact Dr Belinda Noble for further information

Back to top Go down
Standardbreds_Rule

Standardbreds_Rule

Number of posts : 680
Registration date : 2009-09-16

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 3:29 pm

I know your ad says mares but would you be interested in a gelding?
Back to top Go down
ivydane

ivydane

Number of posts : 2413
Registration date : 2010-02-26

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Used to teach what to who? How long are they kept? What happens to them after they have been used for teaching? Not post mortem anatomy lessons, I hope.
Back to top Go down
Werdun

Werdun

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Presumably these are mares that would be used to teach students how to perform rectal palpations...follicle testing, scanning, etc. They would live a pretty cruisey life except for having lots of hands up their butts through breeding season.

Back to top Go down
http://www.haladopark.webs.com *new website*
Noble

Noble

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 9:43 am

The horses in our teaching herd are used for the teaching program. For the first years of the degree, this mainly involves handling - as many students have no prior horse handling experience. In the latter portion of the degree, rectal examination, ultrasound, nasogastric intubation etc are performed (obviously students need to practice these skills before performing them on clients horses). More 'invasive' procedures have strict rest periods and aftercare requirements which are adhered to and veterinary care is available 24/7. Teaching occurs over 2 semester between February and July, and all horses are spelled in non-teaching periods. The horses are kept in the teaching herd until they are no longer paddock sound (ie in pain), or if they display adverse behaviours which endanger the horses or the students. If this is the case, the horses are humanely euthanased, as currently policy does not allow for rehoming (on basis of unsoundness which may not be properly managed, or behaviour which could pose a risk to people). The welfare of these horses is of utmost importance to the teachers and carers involved.
Back to top Go down
Noble

Noble

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 12:02 pm

[quote="Noble"] Teaching occurs over 2 semester between February and July, and all horses are spelled in non-teaching periods.

sorry, that should read February to December
Back to top Go down
Standardbreds_Rule

Standardbreds_Rule

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 am

are you still looking for mares? a friend of mine has one but she wants $300 for her. She isnt overly big but very quiet.
Back to top Go down
Noble

Noble

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Standardbreds_Rule wrote:
are you still looking for mares? a friend of mine has one but she wants $300 for her. She isnt overly big but very quiet.

Hi,

I was talking with Alana today (I think this is the friend you were referring to?) and will catch up with her tommorrow.

Thanks for the referral!

I am still looking for more
Back to top Go down
jessjess

jessjess

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-10-14

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 4:40 pm

How much are you looking at paying? I know someone with a few mares who needs to cut back but wants around 500 -600 Smile
Back to top Go down
Noble

Noble

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 3:33 pm

jessjess wrote:
How much are you looking at paying? I know someone with a few mares who needs to cut back but wants around 500 -600 Smile

Hi jess,

Unfortunately our funds are limited, so we are capped at $400 per animal.

thanks for the inquiry
Back to top Go down
jessjess

jessjess

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-10-14

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Ok no worries. Have you tried posting an advertisement on gumtree?
Back to top Go down
Standardbreds_Rule

Standardbreds_Rule

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 10:48 am

Hi! Are you still looking for mares? I might have one suitable Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quiet mares wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet mares wanted   Quiet mares wanted Empty

Back to top Go down

Quiet mares wanted
Page 1 of 1