South Australian Equine Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly forum for all South Australian Horse Riders, Breeders and Enthusiasts! Non South Aussies MOST welcome too!!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Faecal Eggcount Service

Go down 
+10
mustang_dani
Kissesofgold
fern
~Tasha~
All.That.Jazz
ivydane
Caleah Park
gypsy0888
AppyGoLucky
Tracy
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tracy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Faecal Eggcount Service Empty
PostSubject: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 am

Faecal Egg Count Service, including worming advice, and wormer resistance testing.

A common approach to worming all horses is not an appropriate way to manage worm infestations in horses. Management of horses is so variable (stables/yards/paddocks/individual/herd etc.), that different recommendations should be tailored to each particular establishment, rather than a set of universal recommendations.

Options:

$10 for a single sample, and short term advice on whether or not worming is required

$25 Faecal Egg Count Reduction Test, which includes a samples taken prior to, and 2 weeks after, worming, and calculations to determine any wormer resistance you may have.

$50 for a Faecal Egg Count reduction test together with a written indvidualised report regarding reducing worm count and burdens for your particular environment.

Results will be supplied via email, together with general worming information, and advice on whether or not to worm your horse. At this stage, samples will need to be either dropped off or picked up. May be available to come out to Pony Clubs and discuss proper worming and the problems with resistance, and bring gear to do on the spot counts.

For further information please email tracy.whiter at bigpond.com

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 8:00 am

Looks like a great service.
Pick up & drop of to where?
Back to top Go down
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 8:54 am

I'm in Inglewood Camiko Park. Will be up at Mt Pleasant for an ODE on the weekend though!
Back to top Go down
AppyGoLucky

AppyGoLucky

Number of posts : 1522
Registration date : 2009-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:06 am

Hmmm, I've heard a bit about this sort of thing. Seriously considering if I should get it done, because you're quite close to where I am as well...
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverstirrups.com
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:12 am

If you want to send me an email, I'll send an info sheet and submission form.
I can keep people up to date about where I am if I"m at events as well for drop offs!

Feel free to post any other worming questions here - I'll answer what I can, and should be able to get answers for most questions.
Back to top Go down
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 10:37 am

email sent M3iik.
Back to top Go down
gypsy0888

gypsy0888

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 11:10 am

can poo be posted?
how large/ fresh does the sample have to be?
Back to top Go down
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 11:38 am

It can be Gypsy, but when I looked up the Aus Post rules, I have to be a registered laboratory (which I am not) and you have to be a vet! I'm sure that there are ways around it as long as it is in a box rather than a bag, and taped up. That is the unfortunate bit because it would be great to be able to accept posted samples.

You only need 'one dollop or nugget', and should be collected as freshly as possible, sealed in a bag with air taken out, and preferably assessed within 2 days.
Back to top Go down
gypsy0888

gypsy0888

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 11:42 am

I've got 6 I'ld like to have done,
can I put the sealed samples in the fridge for a day or 2 while I collect the others?
(not my food fridge!) Razz
It's just that it may take a while to collect the "right" poo, fromm the right horse!
could then express it to you in a box.
Back to top Go down
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 11:54 am

They should be kept 'cool' but not in a fridge Gypsy. I'll send you the info forms etc if you like
Back to top Go down
Caleah Park

Caleah Park

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am

Gotta laugh Tracy! _ I know it's serious and a great idea,- I just keep thinking about you advertising for people to send you poo samples... Surprised
Back to top Go down
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 5:06 pm

I know CP, its pretty funny. How do you think my family reacted when I spent money setting up for this!! "You want to what????"LOL
Back to top Go down
ivydane

ivydane

Number of posts : 2413
Registration date : 2010-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Full marks for ingenious new business venture!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gypsy0888

gypsy0888

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 6:00 am

pm'd you
Back to top Go down
All.That.Jazz

All.That.Jazz

Number of posts : 2009
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 8:45 am

haha Tracy - i can imagine what Rob has said Razz

might get you to do Jaz & Montana's Smile - i will see you saturday! - i obviously wont be bringing poo with me though lol dad would shoot me for taking it in his car Razz
Back to top Go down
~Tasha~

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 9:15 am

can you please email me the info sheet please kipmorley@hotmail.com
Back to top Go down
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:32 am

Sorry Tasha, only just saw this. Will email now.
Back to top Go down
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 am

GREAT time of the year to be doing worm counts - Do you really need to worm after summer? Is the wormer your using effective?

Some little statistics from some recent counts Ive done.

4 horses, same property - 2 worm counts of 0, 1 of 40, 1 with 440 eggs/gram!!! Pick who the worm 'shedder' is in that lot!!!

1 horse, moved from a place of agistment that insisted on 6 weekly worming. Had worm count of over 900 eggs/gram!!!! This was using Ivermectin as well!!

Just some interesting curiosities for you - Its not always as it appears on the outside!!
Back to top Go down
fern

fern

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:37 am

I'm still waiting for Hallie to poo while I'm around so I can do hers LOL
Back to top Go down
Kissesofgold

Kissesofgold

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 am

Can you send me the info sheet please Tracy I have 3 to do, i am not a big fan of over worming but being on agistment will be interesting to see the results

jamatcpa@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:08 am

Hi KOG - have sent info and submission form. Don't hesitate to email back with any queries.

ALSO - For those of you who use Fern as your hoof trimmer, we can organise pick ups as well!!!
Back to top Go down
fern

fern

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 am

ALSO - For those of you who use Fern as your hoof trimmer, we can organise pick ups as well!!!

KOG I need to do your lot soon so could take your bags of poo to Tracy
Back to top Go down
mustang_dani

mustang_dani

Number of posts : 1914
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Can I please have an info sheet emailed too?

mustangdani@yahoo.com.au
Back to top Go down
http://www.zappascomputers.com.au
Kissesofgold

Kissesofgold

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 9:25 am

Excellent fern will organise trim for the girls and counds done in a couple of weeks

Tracy do you ming if i print out the fact sheet and put it up at my agistment centre, I think there might be a few interested in this
Back to top Go down
Tracy

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 10:41 am

Hi KOG - no worries at all, in fact that would be great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Faecal Eggcount Service   Faecal Eggcount Service Empty

Back to top Go down

Faecal Eggcount Service
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next